Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year, New Me?

So I've had this blog for about a year now but I have never made a post. I guess out of laziness and also the fact that I seem to never finish what I start. 2009 came and went and I have mixed feelings about it. While yes it was not the best of years and a lot of things happened that I wish did not, I gained a lot from this year. I managed to learn a lot about myself and that I am stronger than I ever thought I could be. I learned how easy it is to fall back into bad habits and how doing one bad thing could trigger a domino effect on your entire life. I learned how good things fall apart so that something even better can come together and how to put myself aside and help someone else for a change. With all that I have learned this year I still have a lot of learning and growing up to do, so that's where this blog comes in.

This blog was originally started as a place to share all of my stories, tips, tricks, and hard-learned lessons about being newly single and back on the dating scene. That blog never happened. I became a dog owner, broke and did not have the means (or time) to experience the dating scene as I wanted to. I was also healing my heart and we all know that you have to heal yourself first before you try to bring someone else into the equation. I had met someone over the summer (will be referred to as Minute Man) who for a while I felt might be my next great love. For the first time in a long time I was treated right and things just felt right when I was with him. Unfortunately, things did not work out for the best since we are entirely two different people and he had no intentions of trying to see things my way as well as his. Oh well, that was so 2009... this is 2010 we are talking about and as cheesy as it sounds I want to completely start over for this new year. I probably say this every year but this time I actually mean it. I also say that every year but that is the past and this is the present and what better day than today.

One of my main goals for this year is the same as it has been for many years, to lose weight. Tonight, (well technically last night now since it is an ungodly hour and I have yet to sleep) I was listening to Baz Luhrmann's Sunscreen and one line really stood out to me - "Enjoy your body, use it every way you can. Don’t be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, it’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever own." My body is the greatest instrument I'll ever own and for the past 22 years I have not been treating it right at all. I always see how much people rave about the gym and love working out and I always wish I was like that. Well I don't think those people became exercise-fanatics overnight, they had to start from somewhere just like I am. I'm not saying I will go to the gym for 2-3 hours daily but maybe I could start small like say 2-3 hours a week and then build it up. Also, exercise does not always have to be at the gym I could always go walk in the park and even take Tammy along with me. I'm sure the laziest pug in the world will love that! I always knew how to eat healthier but I just never had the motivation to and I hope that will change in this year. One of the things Santa left me in my stocking was a fitbook and I really hope that it could help me stay accountable, at least as far as eating is concerned. Lisa Lilian from hungry girl absolutely raves about it and how helpful it is with staying on track so, fingers crossed!

One of the other major things I want to work on this year is my progress with school. I am just 5 semesters away from graduating and I seriously need to get my act together. I slipped up a little with this semester but managed to finish it and learn a hard lesson. I now feel as though I know what I want to do with my life and it is comforting to at least have a direction to face in life. I also want to hold a job during this semester, one that will work around my school schedule and understand that school is my number one priority. It would be amazing to have a work study position, I would be able to work on campus and even in some offices I could do my homework as I work so that would work out well. I just have to get my act together, especially with this upcoming semester since I am taking three hospitality courses - including event management. I cannot wait to take it, it looks like it will be a lot of fun and it will give me a glimsp of it will be like to actually be an event planner.

I also want to try and update this blog regularly. It is not possible to say it will be updated daily especially during the semester but I just want to aim to do it on a regular basis. Santa also gave me a brand new camera and memory card for Christmas so I would like to have at least one album worth of pictures for every month of the year. I want to truly enjoy my life for once and document it as I go along. I want to make each day count and no longer waste my time and my life away, I am only 22 now but I know I am going to turn around and be 44 before I know it.

So hopefully I'll be back soon with another update, if not then we'll know I failed at at least one of my resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment